Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chesterton and me

I am loving Chesterton quotes!  G. K. Chesterton seems like a no nonsense guy, but that's just my first impression of him.  I love the way he plainly states the obvious.  


I have started reading my first Chesterton book on my Kindle.  It's called Orthodoxy.  Why Orthodoxy?  Because it was free on Amazon at Christmastime when I got my Kindle!  I wasn't sure where to start with Chesterton, and starting with a free book sounded right up my isle.  


I have to admit I have a newfound love of reading.  Unfortunately I did not enjoy reading growing up.  So I am not sure if that explains the difficulty I am having with Orthodoxy.  I love the book, and I love reading Chesterton.  But this first Chesterton book of mine seems to be a bit...rambling.  I am in the middle of the book and it seems like it is just starting to make sense and get good.  I can only read through about ten pages at a time, and I go back and re-read passages to help them sink in.


I ran across a wonderful quote from Chesterton today (not from the book I am reading, but from Fallible Blogma): “The difficulty of explaining ‘why I am a Catholic’ is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true.” – G. K. Chesterton


Yep, love it!  It sums up why my mouth is left hanging open and speechless when I get the question, "Why the Catholic Church?"  


peace be with you today!


kristy

1 comment:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Kristy, that is the greatest quote! Ahhhh, he has such a way with words.

I never got past the first chapter of Orthodoxy because it's all so packed full. So, I hope to try again one day soon. I want to read the chapter on "the death of thought" or something. I used a quote from that in a post once, and it said so much with so few words.

Peace!