Monday, June 29, 2015

he's here - Asher James

It's been a while since I've written here. We've been blessed with another stinky boy. He's 6 months old so...yeah, it's been a while.

I love reading birth stories. But for some reason the ones I read are never anything like mine. First difference - I've been induced with all 6 births. The birth stories I read are always lovely 110% natural, laboring all day and night, with a caring husband calmly lending support, and a beautiful experience of birth in a warm tub or at least in a bed but definitely no cords stuck in your arms. This is like a foreign language to me. It doesn't compute in my experience.

At first our decision to induce was a conscious decision to have control over the situation. Plus, who doesn't jump at the chance to SEE THEIR BABY NOW!! Then, after the first two babies, we really started to change our thinking about inductions. Wouldn't it be wonderful to just let the baby come when he/she and God decides? Although I've never let myself go terribly overdue, I have decided - after 6 babies - that my body doesn't know how to go into labor without pitocin.

I tried so so so hard to let Asher come on his own. But there was this little deadline called the last day of 2014 that was insistent that we cave and induce. His due date was December 24th. We made it past Christmas Day, and I had already let my doctor know I'd like to go into labor on my own, if possible, but that he MUST come by the end of the year. The tax deduction wasn't as big a factor - but it was a factor - as the fact that since my oldest son had his appendix removed in June, we had for the first time ever in our lives met our maximum out-of-pocket for the year. So everything after June was F-R-E-E to us. Did I say free? So Asher just had to come. Because - FREE!

We planned our induction date of December 28th. But I really really really hoped he'd come on his own by then. December 27th came, and still no Asher. We prepared for the induction and took the kids to stay with family. And we took full advantage of the quiet and treated ourselves to a movie - the last Hobbit movie.

Labor started during the movie. Contractions were about every 15 minutes. Of course at first I assumed they were Braxton Hicks contractions. But these stayed pretty regular. I was very excited at the possibility of going into labor all by myself! After the movie the contractions continued. About halfway home the contractions stopped. I was bummed, but at least I got to sleep well.

The next morning we got up early and made that call to see if there was room for us in the inn hospital. They didn't have room for us. I can tell you - for a mom who is ready to have a baby and whose kids are at relatives' houses and everything was neatly planned - this was not welcomed news. Thanks to my über-supportive husband suggested we make the best of it and enjoy the morning. I think it was one of the best times I had just enjoying the quiet of our house with my husband.

The end of the story goes like this: we got the call that there was room at the hospital. Apparently the contractions were real the night before because I was dilated to 4 centimeters. I got hooked up to an IV and a bunch of monitors. They started the pitocin. I got the epidural (if you ever have pitocin - an epidural is a must. Unless you're Wonder Woman, which I am not.). I got happy (from the epidural). Enjoyed time talking football with my husband. Time to deliver. Per my instructions, the nurse turned down the epidural so that I could feel when to push (if you have an epidural - I highly recommend have the dosage decreased for delivery time. Trust me - the whoel process will go much faster and smoother.) Doctor arrives. Doctor makes some jokes about UK fans (seriously - best doctor ever). "Kristy, it's time to push." One push (I'm not kidding. Please don't hate me.) and Asher James is here!

gratuitous awkward just-born photo
Aw! I can almost still smell his newborn smell!
He weighed 8 pounds, 3 and a half ounces and was 21 and a half inches long.  The name Asher is from the Bible - he was one of the 12 sons of Jacob - one of the 12 tribes of Israel. Asher means "happy". And after the first 3 months of colic, he is nothing but infectious smiles! James is a family name - both my husband's father and brother have that name.

from this angle, he already looks as big as his 2-year old sister

As disappointed as I was that I didn't go into labor on my own, a friend who visited me after we came home made a good point - it's probably good that I am in a hospital environment where my labor can be monitored from the beginning since my deliveries are super fast and super easy. We live in a rural area, and it takes 30 to 40 minutes to drive to the hospital. And she's right. I'd rather be assisted by pitocin than having the baby on the side of the road! Although it would make for a wonderful birth story...

your brothers will always have your back, Asher

kristy




2 comments:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

So precious! Congrats to all!!!

Leticia Adams said...

Congrats!! What a precious baby!